← return to main Coronavirus menu

You can find information about the new package of support for self-employed people here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a-grant-through-the-coronavirus-covid-19-self-employment-income-support-scheme

Employment Advice – Updated 15.04.2020

A further £100 million fund is also being made available to protect self-employed people and viable micro and SME businesses in distress due to COVID. This fund will be channelled through local authorities and enterprise agencies to target newly self-employed people and businesses who are ineligible for other Scottish Government or UK Government schemes. More information at the Scottish Government website: https://news.gov.scot/news/additional-support-for-business
The UK Government has set up a dedicated page for employees which can be accessed here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/covid-19-guidance-for-employees    
People who cannot work due to coronavirus and are eligible for Statutory Sick Pay will get it from day one, rather than from the fourth day of their illness You can check your eligibility for Statutory Sick Pay here: https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay/eligibility Statutory Sick Pay will be payable to people who are staying at home on government advice, not just those who are infected, from 13 March 2020
Some useful advice for employers and employees can be found here: https://www.acas.org.uk/coronavirus
Contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) as soon as possible if you have missed your payment. How you contact HMRC depends on what you need to pay. More information at: https://www.gov.uk/difficulties-paying-hmrc
If you have Coronavirus or have been specifically advised to stay at home, you can get an ‘isolation note’ from NHS 111 online, rather than visiting a doctor. This replaces the need for a fit note (or sick note) from your doctor. Visit the NHS 111 website here: https://111.nhs.uk/isolation-note
The UK Chancellor has announced that self-assessment payments can be suspended up until January 2021. Call this UK Government helpline for advice on: 0800 0159 559
The Self-Employment Income Support Scheme is available to self-employed individuals or a member of a partnership who have submitted an Income Tax Self-Assessment tax return for the tax year 2018-19 and are still trading, or would be trading if it weren’t for Covid-19. Self-employed trading profits must be less than £50,000 and more than half of income should come from self-employment. If somebody started trading between 2016-19, HMRC will only use those years for which a Self-Assessment tax return was filed. Applicants will get a taxable grant which will be 80% of the average profits from the last three years, up to a maximum of £2,500 per month for 3 months. It will be paid directly into somebody’s bank account, in one instalment. HMRC will contact eligible applicants directly and invite them to apply online.
You can find information about applying for Universal Credit at the UK Government website: https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit